Monday, May 02, 2005

Got me a new bike!


I finally broke down and bought a new bike. I've been riding my Trek Elance since college (almost 15 years), but with my renewed interest in biking recently I decided it was time to upgrade. There were three main reasons for upgrading.

#1 - Shifting: My Elance was a frame shifter, so I had to lean down to shift gears. This was always a little unnerving at the bottom of a hill when I'm doing 30+ mph and I have to down shift because of a stop.

#2 - Age: Being as old as it is, my Elance was quite a bit heavier (being Chromolly steel) then my riding partners bikes. While it did mean I got a better workout :), it also meant I fatigued sooner. In addition I blew 4 spokes last year. I suspect my wheels are reaching their end of life.

#3 - Spinning: Man does it suck to be standing up powering up a hill and have old folks spin right past you (nothing against old folks as I'm quickly becoming one). My Elance is only a 12 speed, so my gear ratio choices are rather limited.

That said, I'm a rather finicky about my ride. I rode several aluminum bikes, but didn't really like the vibration. I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in a fully Carbon. Then I saw the spine bikes from Lemond, which piqued my interest. After riding one this weekend, I fell in love and had to order one. The final selling point for me was that the bike I ordered was named after the city I was born in. It must be fate!

According to my dealer, the bike should be in on Thursday. They didn't have a double in my size, but luckily he had just sold another size that wanted a triple, so he was going to switch the hardware between the bikes when they came in.


LeMond Racing Cycles � 2005 Bikes � Steel/Carbon � Buenos Aires

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home